Boston Delivers is a neighborhood delivery service for local businesses in Allston and the surrounding area. Instead of motor vehicles, packages will be delivered by electric cargo bikes. The Boston Transportation Department has partnered with Net Zero Logistics to carry out this delivery service. Net Zero Logistics will provide the electric cargo bikes, make the deliveries, and coordinate delivery logistics. This pilot program aims to test and promote a more environment and traffic friendly way of delivering goods.
Deliveries can take place between:
- A participating local business and their customer
- A participating local business and another business
- A supplier to a participating local business
Boston Delivers is an 18-month Pilot program funded by The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. We plan to launch Boston Delivers in Spring of 2023.
Participate in Boston Delivers
How will it work?
We will invite businesses to join the pilot program. Before launch, each participating business will meet with the Boston Delivers team to decide on a delivery plan and schedule. Once the program launches, participating businesses will be able to notify the Boston Delivers team when a delivery needs to be made. A delivery associate will arrive at the business or another pre-specified location, pick up the package, and deliver it to its destination on e-cargo bike.
What kinds of deliveries does Boston Delivers offer?
Boston Delivers offers:
- Priority Service: Pickup and delivery of package(s), occurs within two (2) hours of request.
- Same Day Service: Pickup and delivery of package(s) occurs within the same day of request.
- Distribution Service: Packages are picked up one day, and delivered the next day. Best suited for businesses with a high delivery volume.
- Scheduled Service: Packages are picked up and delivered at predetermined times either same or next day
- Dedicated Service – Delivery personnel are exclusively assigned to a business. The business is charged on a daily/hourly basis vs per delivery. This service is applicable for on-demand deliveries.
Businesses can request delivery by:
- Using an online portal
- Calling a Customer Service Hotline
- API integration with the delivery provider's online order processing system.
Financial Assistance for Participating Businesses
What is the delivery subsidy and who is eligible to receive it?
The City will subsidize delivery costs for 8 businesses for 1 year. Those businesses will receive between $500-$1500 a month to cover delivery fees associated with Boston Delivers. The criteria for eligible businesses are:
- Business must be located in Allston or make deliveries into Allston, AND
- Employ fewer than 100 employees AND
- Be a women-owned business, and/or a minority owned business, and/or a non-profit
Businesses that will use Boston Delivers to replace current deliveries made by car or truck will be prioritized
The deadline to apply for the subsidy is December 19th! Fill out the interest form to apply now
hOW WILL THE SUBSIDY BE DISTRIBUTED?
Subsidized businesses will fall into one of three tiers. Those tiers are:
- Tier 1: 3 businesses will receive up to $500/month each to cover delivery fees. Tier 1 businesses must indicate readiness to perform 20-80 deliveries a month.
- Tier 2: 3 businesses will receive up to $1000/month each to cover delivery fees. Tier 2 businesses must indicate readiness to perform at least 80 deliveries a month.
- Tier 3: 2 businesses will receive up to $1500/month each to cover delivery fees. Tier 3 businesses must indicate readiness to perform at least 150 deliveries a month.