Columbus Avenue Bus Lanes
We are planning to make improvements along Columbus Avenue for both bus riders and pedestrians. Aside from creating center-running bus lanes, we are also planning to improve bus platforms and pedestrian crossings.
Hearing materialsHearing materials
- Columbus Avenue Transportation Improvements Virtual Public Meeting #1 ( July 20, 2020)
- Columbus Avenue Transportation Improvements Virtual Public Meeting #2 (July 20, 2020)
- Reunión pública sobre mejoras de transporte en Columbus Avenue #1 (July 21, 2020)
- Reunión pública sobre mejoras de transporte en Columbus Avenue #2 (July 21, 2020)
In 2019, the Transportation Department developed the Jamaica Plain and Roxbury Transportation Action Plan. This plan advances the recommendations featured in the Boston Planning and Development Agency’s PLAN: Jamaica Plain Roxbury, and Go Boston 2030.
From the Transportation Action Plan, we identified several community interests as high priorities for residents. Those interests include:
- Columbus Avenue Transit Improvements
- Washington Street Traffic Calming, and
- Egleston Square Safety Improvements.
Nearly one-third of those traveling on this section of Columbus Avenue move on buses. Delays can become so severe that travel times can triple during peak travel times. It should be no surprise that dedicated bus lanes on Columbus Avenue rose to the top of community interests.
We are working with the MBTA to place dedicated bus lanes along Columbus Avenue. This initiative closely aligns with our goals toward decreasing travel time inequities across racial lines and transportation modes in Go Boston 2030.
We plan to create center-running bus lanes that will provide bus riders with more reliable service. We also plan to upgrade bus platforms within the project scope.
These upgrades will benefit riders on the three bus routes on the corridor:
- 22: Ashmont Station – Ruggles Station
- 29: Mattapan Station – Jackson Square Station, and
- 44: Jackson Square Station – Ruggles Station.
In 2019, there were 25 reported crashes along the street segment. Four of those crashes involved pedestrians. Through this project, we can improve the safety for those walking along Columbus Avenue. We plan to create updated street crossings for pedestrians. We also plan to increase accessibility for pedestrians with disabilities.