Tuition-Free Community College (TFCC) Plan
Helping more Boston residents afford, attend, and complete college.
College is too important to be limited to those who can afford it. The Tuition-Free Community College (TFCC) Plan pays for up to three years of tuition and fees for all Boston residents pursuing an associate degree or certificate program at a partner college.
Beginning Fall 2023, the City of Boston is expanding eligibility for the Tuition Free Community College (TFCC) Plan to include all Boston residents regardless of age, income, or immigration status.
Before You Apply
- Be a Boston resident.
- Enroll in an associate degree or short-term certificate program at a partner college.
- Complete the FAFSA.*
*Students who are undocumented, DACA students, or have TPS, do not need to complete the FAFSA.
TFCC students can enroll in associate degree or certificate programs at any of the following institutions:
- Benjamin Franklin Cummings Institute of Technology*
- Bunker Hill Community College
- Massasoit Community College
- MassBay Community College
- Roxbury Community College
- Urban College of Boston
*There are a limited TFCC slots available at the Benjamin Franklin Cummings Institute of Technology.
- Tuition and mandatory fees remaining after any other applicable financial aid has been applied.
- $250 each semester for up to three years of college-related expenses such as books or transportation.
- Debt of up to $2,500 for students with an outstanding balance at a partner college that is preventing a student from re-enrolling at that college.
Multilingual Fact SheetsFact Sheets
Pursue a Free Four Year Degree
Interested in continuing on to a four-year college? We have options!
The Tuition Free Community College Plan has launched a pilot program in partnership with the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt). The program will cover tuition, fees, and mandatory supplies for PELL-eligible students transferring from a Massachusetts community college to a bachelor’s degree program at MassArt.
Email questions to Shannon Gallagher, MassArt Transfer Admissions Counselor, at email@example.com.
Boston Bridge is a partnership between the Tuition Free Community College Plan and the State’s Commonwealth Commitment program that allows eligible students to earn a bachelor’s degree free of tuition and mandatory fees.