Massachusetts Lead Law
Sources of lead
If your home was built before 1978, it may have lead paint. Lead paint dust and chips can cause lead poisoning. Paint is the most common source of lead poisoning in Boston.
- We can inspect the inside and outside of your home to identify lead hazards.
Corroding water service lines that contain lead can cause a home’s water to contain lead.
- To find out if your home’s service line contains lead, view the Boston Water and Sewer Commission’s lead service map.
- BWSC can help you replace it through the Lead Replacement Incentive Program.
- You can also have your home’s water tested by a MassDEP certified lab.
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health's Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Landlord Rights and Responsibilities
- Department of Neighborhood Development (Lead Safe Boston financial assistance)
- MassHousing (Get the Lead Out financial assistance program)
- Boston Water & Sewer Commission (Lead Replacement Incentive Program)