Swan Boats Opening Day 2026
Mayor Michelle Wu and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department are pleased to announce that the popular Boston Swan Boats will open for the 2026 season at the Boston Public Garden lagoon on Saturday, April 18, at 10 a.m.
For more information, please visit the Swan Boats of Boston website, call 617-522-1966, or email info@swanboats.com.
About the Swan Boats:
Launched in 1877 by Irish immigrant and shipbuilder Robert Paget, the Swan Boats continue to be owned and operated by the Paget family. Mr. Paget designed the Swan Boats after attending the opera Lohengrin in New York City. At the end of the opera, the hero crosses a river in a boat drawn by a swan.
2026 marks the 149th season for the Swan Boats. The oldest and smallest boat in the fleet just celebrated its 116th season, while the newest was launched in 1993. The swan on today’s boats is made from either copper or fiberglass, depending on the age of the boat, and encloses a paddle mechanism that is used to foot propel the boat through the water.
Fully loaded, each Swan Boat weighs three tons and is powered by the driver using a foot-propelled paddle wheel. The Swan Boats are built on oak framed pontoons sheathed in copper just as they were initially constructed in 1877. After being stored in a safe place for the winter, the boats are returned to the Public Garden Lagoon each spring.
Black Veterans Appreciation Luncheon
Please join us and Mayor Wu in celebrating and honoring the contributions and sacrifices of Black Veterans in helping to create and add to our great nation's legacy. This event will be held on Saturday, February 21, 2026. The location of this event is will be at Hibernian Hall, 184 Dudley St #200, Boston, MA 02119.
We will also be honoring deserving veterans with Community and Outstanding Service awards.
Please click here to register.
For more information, please contact us at 617-635-3026.
Public Garden
Established in 1837
Two centuries separate the creation of the Boston Common and the Public Garden, and what a difference that period made.
In 1634 the Common was created as America’s first public park; it was practical and pastoral with walkways built for crosstown travel. In contrast, the Public Garden was the first public botanical garden in America. It was decorative and flowery from its inception, featuring meandering pathways for strolling.
Boston Common
Founded in 1634
Here the Colonial militia mustered for the Revolution. In 1768, the hated British Redcoats began an eight-year encampment. George Washington, John Adams and General Lafayette came here to celebrate our nation's independence. The 1860s saw Civil War recruitment and anti-slavery meetings. During World War I, victory gardens sprouted. For World War II, the Common gave most of its iron fencing away for scrape metal.
King's Chapel Burying Ground
King’s Chapel is Boston Proper’s oldest burying place. Like the majority of Boston’s burying grounds, it has always been under municipal control, not affiliated with any church. The site is said to be part of Isaac Johnson’s estate, an early settler. In 1688, Royal Governor Andros seized a portion of this property to construct the town’s first Anglican church, King’s Chapel. For many years, the site was known as the Chapel Burying Ground, due to its proximity to the church.
Granary Burying Ground
The Granary Burying Ground was the third burial site in Boston Proper, established in 1660. Town officials set aside part of what was then the Boston Common for burial space to help alleviate overcrowding in the near-by King’s Chapel Burying Ground. First, the space was known as the South or Common Burying Ground, and then the Middle Burying Ground (after the opening of Central Burying Ground). The Granary Burying Ground took its present name in 1737 when a granary, a small building used to store grain, was moved to the site presently occupied by the Park Street Church.
Central Burying Ground
At the time of its creation, Central Burying Ground was established to alleviate serious overcrowding at King’s Chapel, Copp’s Hill, and Granary Burying Grounds. Petitions requesting a new burying ground were made to the Board of Selectmen as early as 1740. In 1748, after several additional requests and petitions in town meetings for a new burying ground, the selectmen appointed a committee to research a suitable parcel of land at the south end of town. At that time, the south end of Boston was only a little tail to the larger central town, so there was not much land to choose from.
Taxpayer Referral and Assistance Center
Please note: For prior fiscal year real estate tax payments, contact the Collector's Office.
Pagination
- Previous page
- Page 34