COVID-19 information
For the latest updates, please visit our coronavirus (COVID-19) website:

2019 BCYF grants now available for local agencies


The grants which were announced by Mayor Walsh, will go to support summer programing for youth 

Mayor Martin J. Walsh and Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) have announced the release of the 2019 BCYF Summer Grants RFP, inviting nonprofit youth-serving groups to apply for a grant of up to $5,000 to support fun, safe, enriching youth programming this summer. These grants will increase both the number and variety of programs serving youth and will ensure that youth across the City have access to activities and opportunities this summer.

"I am pleased to be able to offer this grant to support the innovative and engaging programming provided by our non-profit partners during the summer months," said Mayor Walsh. "Thousands of Boston's young people will have a great summer thanks to the agencies the BCYF Summer Grant supports."

The grants will support summer programs in Boston neighborhoods.  Ages to must range from 6-18 and may include young adults up to age 21.  Programs must operate between July 8 and August 31. Last year, of the 58 programs that were awarded funding, 60% were art-based, educational or community and civic engagement opportunities and the remaining 40% had a sports, recreation, fitness or health-related focus. Over 80% of grantees provided specialized programs that incorporated educational components to youth about substance abuse, provided a therapeutic approach to accommodate youth impacted by trauma and provided an opportunity for meaningful youth summer employment.

"Even though BCYF offers hundreds of summer programs, we rely on our non-profit partners to join us in keeping Boston's youth happy, healthy and safe during the summer," said William Morales, Commissioner of BCYF. "I can't wait to review the variety of applications we will receive from all across the City."

"This grant is so meaningful to Learn 2 Teach, Teach 2 Learn." said Dr. Susan Klimczak, Education Organizer at Learn 2 Teach, Teach 2 Learn. "The funds help us to provide STEAM activities that require special and more expensive components. This year, we encountered a price increase in some of the supplies we need to offer our STEAM activities. The increase would have put popular activities like our Solar Bobble Activity out of the reach of L2TT2L, which provides all our STEAM camps free of charge to the children and community organizations we serve.  Thanks to the support from BCYF through the BCYF Summer Grant, we were able to offer this popular activity without interruption."

The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. on Friday, May 3. For more information including the RFP, please visit Boston.Gov/BCYF-Summer-Grant.

About Boston Centers for Youth and Families

Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) is the City of Boston's largest youth and human service agency. BCYF operates 36 community centers in Boston that offer a variety of engaging and enriching programs for people of all ages created through community input and need. BCYF also oversees citywide programs including the nationally-recognized violence intervention and prevention Streetworker Program, the GIRLS Initiative, Camp Joy special needs program and many aquatic offerings.

Back top top