Free ParkARTS Children’s workshops in July and August
June 20, 2019
The Boston Parks and Recreation Department’s annual ParkARTS participatory program sponsored by Holly Bruce is pleased to announce the return of its series of arts workshops giving children the opportunity to express their creativity while working on fun projects with local artists. From Allston to Mattapan, kids ages three to ten can enjoy a wide variety of arts and crafts activities at the Artists in Residence Workshops held from 10 a.m. to 12 noon in parks across the city.
Participation is free and all materials are provided, but children must be accompanied by an adult. Groups of eight or more must make prior arrangements by calling the Parks Department at 617-635-4505 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Now in its 23rd year, ParkARTS brings a wide range of cultural offerings to city parks.
In addition, the New England Aquarium will bring its traveling tide pool exhibit to four locations and the Marionette Puppet Show series will return in July and August at 11 a.m. at various children’s workshops. See Boston’s parks come alive with these whimsical puppet shows that will delight the child in everyone. Experience the unique charm of Rosalita’s Puppets featuring marionettes made by professional actor-puppeteer Charlotte Anne Dore.
Artists in Residence Workshops dates and locations are as follows 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon):TUESDAYS, JULY 9, 16, AND 23
The New England Aquarium will be at the following locations at 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon):
- McConnell Park, Dorchester (Tuesday, July 16, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
- Doherty Playground, Charlestown (Thursday, July 18, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
- Joyce Playground, Brighton (Tuesday, July 23, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
- Malcolm X Park, Roxbury (Thursday, August 8, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
Rosalita’s Puppets Marionette Performances are at 11 a.m. Dates and locations are as follows:
- Medal of Honor Park, South Boston (Wednesday, July 10)
- Ringgold Park, South End (Thursday, July 18)
- Malcolm X Park, Roxbury (Thursday, August 1)
- Billings Field, West Roxbury (Friday, August 9)
- Town Field, Dorchester (Tuesday, August 13)
- Christopher Columbus Park, North End (Thursday, August 15)
For information on this and other ParkARTS programs, please call the Boston Parks and Recreation Department at 617-635-4505, visit our Facebook page, check out the Parks page online, or follow @BostonParksDept.