Local area events and resources for the Holidays
For many, 2021 continued to offer significant challenges, financially, mentally, and otherwise, in the midst of an ongoing pandemic. The holiday season for many is a time of rest, connection and gratitude, but it can also be a time of added stress, worry, and grief for others. We recommend using the end of the year to take time to connect with friends and loved ones, to consider a volunteer opportunity, or to make use of community resources as needed to ensure the best holiday season possible. We wanted to continue our tradition of listing the Boston area’s largest events, charities, volunteer opportunities, resources, and community and professional supports.
- For those looking for fun activities or ways to celebrate the, holidays, the end of the year and the beginning of 2022, we want to draw attention to the extensive Boston Discovery Guide Event Calendar Holiday 2021.
- The Massachusetts branch of the National Alliance on Mental Illness continues to offer a list of Family Support Groups, a resource many find helpful for coping with stress on the holidays.
- For individuals and families coping with grief, MassGeneral Hospital offers this helpful tips and resources page. You can also find at this link more support groups for children and family.
- For those in need, DisabilityInfo.org Assistance offers this list of charities and resources for assistance for the holiday season.
- The Red cross also offers this list of ways to donate and give to those in need in Massachusetts.
- The Greater Boston Food Bank is an excellent resource to consider supporting this year, they have been instrumental in providing vital support for families in need.
- Globe Santa is a Massachusetts charity that helps provide gifts for children in need. The US Postal service also supports children through Operation Santa, the process for both contributing and receiving letters is described in more detail here.
- Homeless shelters across the city are seeking money and clothing donations for their populations this year, as well as volunteers, at sites including Rosie’s Place, the Pine Street Inn, Father Bill’s, and more.
- This site offers a list of local support services providing potential financial aid for bills in Middlesex and Suffolk counties.
As always, please reach out to us at the EAP if you have any questions or want further resources for the holidays. Have a safe and warm holiday season.