Mayor Walsh Announces $3 Million in Capital Upgrades to Elderly and Disabled Public Housing
October 6, 2015
BOSTON - Tuesday, October 6, 2015 - Mayor Martin J. Walsh today announced $3 million in capital upgrades to 22 elderly and disabled public housing developments throughout the City of Boston. The Boston Housing Authority (BHA) is providing the upgrades to common areas of the developments to create a warmer and more welcoming environment, and an improved quality of life for residents.
"All of our residents deserve to live in a clean, welcoming environment," said Mayor Walsh. "I am proud to announce these improvements which will improve the quality of life for so many of our elderly and disabled residents."
The upgrades to the developments will include newly painted common areas and hallways, new common area flooring, new ceilings and updated furniture for community rooms and spaces. Residents will have the opportunity to provide input in choosing the color scheme for their development.
"Our elderly and disabled residents, sometimes by necessity, spend a considerable portion in the community spaces of their buildings," said BHAAdministrator Bill McGonagle.
"We're pleased to be able to provide an updated and more enjoyable environment for our elderly and disabled residents." Work has begun at the Peabody/Englewood and Foley sites and a schedule will be developed for the remaining sites in the coming months.
The developments that will receive the upgrades are:
- Groveland in Mattapan
- Amory Street in Jamaica Plain
- Rockland Towers in West Roxbury
- Codman Apartments in Dorchester
- Spring Street in West Roxbury
- Roslyn Apartments in Roslindale
- Annapolis Apartments in Dorchester
- Ashmont Street in Dorchester
- Foley Apartments in South Boston
- West Ninth Street in South Boston
- Torre Unidad in the South End
- St. Botolph in the Back Bay
- Bellflower Street in Dorchester
- JJ Meade Apartments in Dorchester
- MLK Towers in Roxbury
- Frederick Douglass in Roxbury
- Pasciucco Apartments in Dorchester
- Hassan Apartments in Mattapan
- Peabody/Englewood in Dorchester
- Hampton House in Roxbury
- Washington Manor in Roxbury
- Washington Street in Brighton