State-designated cultural districts in Boston
Cultural districts are popular areas of a city where there are a lot of cultural facilities and programs. They help strengthen local economies and add to local culture.HOW THEY GET CREATED
The Mass Cultural Council designates cultural districts. Areas must apply for designation. The council accepts applications on a rolling basis. There are now four cultural districts in Boston.
The state legislature authorized the Cultural Districts initiative in 2010. This act was enacted in 2011. The main goals are to:
- attract artists and cultural enterprise
- encourage business and job development
- establish the district as a tourist destination
- preserve and reuse historic buildings
- enhance property values, and
- foster local cultural development.