BERDO Regulations Development
- report their annual energy and water use to the City, and
- reduce their greenhouse gas emissions over time.
BERDO 2.0 is an important tool for helping Boston meet its climate goals. The first step for implementing BERDO is to develop and adopt regulations. The Air Pollution Control Commission reviews and adopts all BERDO regulations.
Phase III: Compliance and Enforcement
PHASE II: REVIEW BOARD, EMISSIONS ACOUNTING, AND RENEWABLE ENERGY PURCHASESPHASE II
Phase 2.a focused on the following topics:
- Review Board member nomination and selection process and other rules and policies related to the seating and operation of the Review Board.
- Designating a tenant as an owner
- Blended emissions standards
- Changing building ownership
- Reporting for buildings in special circumstances
The Air Pollution Control Commission adopted the Phase 2.a regulations and policies at a public hearing on December 14, 2022.
Phase 2.b focused on the following topics:
- Emissions factors
- Additional compliance mechanisms including renewable energy purchases
The Air Pollution Control Commission adopted the Phase 2.b regulations and policies at a public hearing on January 25, 2023.