Building Emissions Reduction and Disclosure
Comment on draft regulations
Written comments on the Phase II.a draft regulations will be accepted until 12:00 p.m. on Friday, December 9, 2022. You can view draft regulations and policies online. Comments can be emailed to email@example.com. More information on the process can be found on our BERDO regulations website.
For reporting questions:
Email or call Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Find support upgrading your building:
- June 15, 2022 - Initial reporting and verification deadline
- December 15, 2022 - Reporting and verification deadline with six-month extension
How to Report to BERDO in 2022
There are three main parts to reporting in 2022:
- Energy Star Portfolio Manager: Energy Star Portfolio Manager is used for reporting key building characteristics and energy and water usage.
- BERDO Reporting Form: A new requirement in 2022, this form captures data required for BERDO 2.0 that isn’t included in Energy Star Portfolio Manager.
- Third-Party Data Verification: A new requirement in 2022, third-party verification of buildings must be completed by a qualified energy professional.
Please review the detailed how to report guide before beginning reporting.
- June 15, 2022 - Deadline for reporting and verification without extension.
- December 15, 2022 - Deadline for reporting and verification with extension.
In 2022, all building owners are entitled to apply for a one-time, six-month extension. Extension requests must be made through the BERDO Reporting Form.
BERDO applies to the following buildings:
- Non-residential buildings that are 20,000 square feet or larger.
- Residential buildings that have 15 or more units.
- Any parcel with multiple buildings that sum to at least 20,000 square feet or 15 units.
Buildings between 20,000 and 35,000 square feet or residential buildings with 15 to 35 units will need to begin reporting their energy use in 2022. They will not be subject to the emissions standards until 2031, reporting for 2030 emissions.
Upcoming eventsUpcoming events
Complying with emissions standards
Retrofit Resource Hub
Want to make healthy, climate resilient, and low-carbon building improvements? We have information to help building owners, tenants, and contractors.