We help eligible homeowners cover the costs of lead removal.
Before you get started
Lead poisoning can lead to learning disabilities in young children. Our lead abatement program offers you financial help to get rid of lead-based paint in your home. We offer:
- forgivable loans of up to $10,000 for each unit in your home
- technical advice from City lead specialists
- free lead paint inspections, and
- help complying with state lead laws so you can get lead removal tax credits.
Mail us your application
You may also need to fill out the:
- No Income Affidavit (available in English, Español, Português, 中文, Français, Kriolu Kabuverdianu, Kreyòl ayisyen, Soomaali, русский, Tiếng Việt, or عربى).
- No Child Support Affidavit (available in English, Español, Português, 中文, Français, Kriolu Kabuverdianu, Kreyòl ayisyen, Soomaali, русский, Tiếng Việt, or عربى), and/or
- Tenant Information Questionnaire (available in English, Español, Português, 中文, Français, Kriolu Kabuverdianu, Kreyòl ayisyen, Soomaali, русский, Tiếng Việt, or عربى)
You can mail your completed application and forms to:
The Boston Home Center
43 Hawkins Street
Boston, MA 02114
We'll set up a lead inspection so you can find out how much work needs to be done, and what it will cost. Then, we'll help you find a contractor and set up your project’s timeline.
Complete the project
Your contractor can start working once you sign all your loan documents. After the work is done, we do one final inspection of your building with:
- a lead specialist
- a lead inspector, and
- Inspectional Services.
We won’t make the final payment to your contractor until we hold that last inspection.
A Massachusetts-licensed lead inspector will issue you a Letter of Compliance that will qualify you for a $1,500 Massachusetts tax credit.
You have to pay us back based on the terms of the loan. You must pay the loan in full if you move, sell, refinance, or transfer your home within three years. If all terms and conditions are met after three years, there’s no repayment of the $10,000 per unit grant.
Download fact sheets
Need to Know:Are you eligible?
To qualify for our lead removal loans, you must own property in Boston. You also need to meet one of these requirements:
- If you live in your one-to four- family home with a child who is six or younger, your income can’t be more than 80 percent of Community Development Block Grant Moderate Income.
- If you don't live in your home, you have to give priority to tenants with children who are six or younger. At least 50 percent of your tenants must be low or moderate income. The rest of your tenants must be at or below 80 percent of Community Development Block Grant Moderate income.
43 hawkins street
boston, MA 02114