You can join the Boston Police Operations Division as a dispatcher, 911 call taker, or Operations Support Unit employee. We have details on how to apply to these positions below.
There are different requirements for each position at the 911 Dispatch Call Center:
- Three years of customer service, including triaging calls and recording information
- Prior dispatch or call-taking experience strongly preferred
911 Call Taker:
- Two years of customer service experience using phones and computers
Operations Support Unit:
- Two years of customer service experience and data entry
For each position, candidates must:
- Be able to type at least 35 words per minute
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exercise good judgment with a focus on detail
All applicants will need to complete a criminal record check, pre-employment drug test, and physical and psychological evaluation. Boston residency is also a requirement for these positions.
You can apply for these positions when they are open through the City of Boston Career Center:
- When you apply, please fill out the necessary information and upload an updated resume. Human Resources will reach out to you if your application meets the minimum qualifications.
Take a Critical Assessment Test
Human Resources will contact you about taking a Critical Assessment Test. This test will determine if you meet the minimum typing requirements for data entry, and test your ability in decision making.
After passing the Critical Assessment Test, you will interview with the Boston Police Operations Division Hire team.