Rental inspection checklist
Please use this checklist to prepare for your upcoming rental inspection
This list is not exhaustive, but represents the most commonly cited violations. The inspector may observe additional Sanitary Code violations.KITCHEN
- The kitchen sink is of sufficient size and capacity to wash dishes.
- The size of the kitchen sink leaves adequate counter space for food preparation.
- There is a working stove and oven.
- There are at least two wall outlets, both of which are accessible and convenient to use.
- There is at least one electrical light fixture.
- There is proper space for a refrigerator.
- The floor is non-absorbent.
- There is a bathtub or shower with sufficient water pressure to meet the needs of the tenant.
- The walls of the shower stall are non-absorbent to a height of 48 inches.
- The space between the wall tile and lip of the tub is caulked properly and water-tight.
- The toilet is in working order and is not cracked or broken.
- There is a window or working ventilation system.
- The floor is non-absorbent.
- There are two wall outlets in every bedroom, both accessible and convenient to use, or one overhead light fixture and one wall outlet.
- All walls and ceilings are free of cracks and loose plaster and are cleanable and weather-tight.
- All floors are free of cracks, crevices, and open areas where rodents or insects may harbor.
- All interior doors are free of cracks, holes, and loose plaster.
- All units are completely free of rodents and insects.
- There are at least two independent exits from each dwelling unit; all exits are free from obstruction.
- Heating facilities are operational and well maintained.
- All windows are weather-tight.
- All windows open and close without excessive force.
- All windows stay open on their own without support from other objects.
- All windows are free of cracks between the prime window frame and the exterior wall.
- All windows have weather-stripping applied if there is space between the window frame and the sash (i.e. the windows should not be loose).
- All windows have working window locks.
- All windowpanes are in place and unbroken.
- All exterior doors are free of holes, cracks, and loose plaster and are weather-tight.
- All exterior doors open and close without excessive force.
- All exterior doors are properly fitted and weather-stripping is applied if there are any cracks or spaces around the door.
- Locks are sufficient to prevent unlawful entry.
- All areas are clean, free from debris, and well maintained.
- All staircases are stable, and a stable handrail or banister is affixed.
- All hallways and passageways are sufficiently lit and safe for passage.
- There is a working smoke detector adjacent to each bedroom and one directly outside the kitchen area.
- There is a working smoke detector in all common areas, including hallways and on every ceiling landing.
- There is a working smoke detector in the basement.
- This is a number affixed to the building and visible from the street that represents the correct address of the building.
- If the owner does not live at the property, the building is posted with the name, address, and phone number of the owner or the owner’s property agent in an interior location visible to all residents. P.O. Boxes are not acceptable.
Still have questions? Contact:
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th FloorBoston, MA 02118