When you need a rental inspection
If you have a rental property in Boston, you will be selected for a rental inspection once every five years. If your property is selected for an inspection, we'll send you a notice in the mail with instructions.
Who needs to get inspections
All rental properties in the City of Boston must get inspections.
The following properties are exempt:
- buildings that have six or fewer units with the property owner living in one of the units
- properties owned and operated by City, state, or federal government, and
- rooming houses, dorms, and lodging houses with a valid lodging license.
These properties are NOT exempt from inspections:
- vacant properties and units
- properties under renovation
- properties where the tenant is a relative who is 18 or over and not on the deed, and
- units where you don't collect rent.
What to do when you get a notice
If you get a notice for a rental inspection, you can do one of the following:
- Have a City housing inspector inspect your units. The cost is $50 per unit if your building has one-to-three units, $75 per unit if there are four or more, and $75 per condo unit.
- Get an inspection from an authorized inspector. We take reports from these authorized inspectors. After the inspection, you must submit one passed inspection report with a signed affidavit per unit. Each report must be signed by the authorized inspector. You need to pay a $15 filing fee for each unit report.
- You may also file inspection reports from Boston Housing Authority or Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership inspectors. There's a $15 filing fee for each unit report filed.
- Refer to the Notice of Selection you received for dates and time restrictions.
- You can apply for a Five-Year Alternative Inspection Compliance Plan. This is only for landlords who have a history of meeting state and City codes. Learn more about how to apply for the Five-Year plan.
|Name||Address||Phone||Type of license / number|
|Herbert Riggs||86B Thornton Street
Roxbury, MA 02119
|Ron Riggs||86B Thornton Street
Roxbury, MA 02119
|Cathy Cardinale||4 Alpine Street
Dedham, MA 02026
|781-326-4690||R.S. & HQS
|Dai Q. Nguyen||15 Arlene Drive
Framingham, MA 01701
|Les Christos||11 Wilson Park #1
Brighton, MA 02135