Orange Line: Boston Public Schools Updates
UPDATE: The MBTA's Orange Line reopened on Monday, September 19, 2022. You can learn about the permanent street changes the City of Boston is putting in place. This website contains an archive of the City's efforts during the Orange Line shutdown.
The City of Boston is closely working with Boston Public Schools (BPS) as we near the beginning of the school year. BPS is communicating with families on a weekly basis to ensure that the over 23,000 Boston students who rely on the MBTA can:
- access the support they need, and
- identify and navigate alternative transportation routes if needed.
In addition, BPS is surveying all staff, with more than 700 respondents to date, to assess the impact of the Orange Line shutdown. BPS will continue working closely with the City of Boston and MBTA to ensure students and staff receive the support they need in the weeks to come.
Have questions? Contact:Mayor's Office
Resources and Support
- BPS has secured 5,000 CharlieCards loaded with free 7-day passes for students and families to practice using any new routes in advance to ensure they are comfortable navigating their trip to and from school.
- Students should plan for delays and ensure they leave additional time to get to and from school.
- Students arriving late due to transportation issues will not be penalized.
- BPS will also plan to provide additional staff support to help guide students along the Orange Line shuttle route.
- Students will also be provided healthy breakfast even if they arrive “after the bell.”
BPS Transportation Help
Families can apply for a waiver on the BPS Transportation Support Portal for students in 7th and 8th grade only to receive yellow bus service instead of MBTA service.
Students and families are encouraged to contact the BPS Transportation Helpline at 617-635-9520 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Transportation Hotline is open for students and families from 6 a.m. - 7 p.m. on days that school is in session. In addition, the hotline is open for limited hours on school vacations, typically from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.