Design and construction at Boston parks
The Design and Construction Unit is responsible for open space planning, park design, and construction. Our project managers implement improvement projects to passive and active open space in:
- Neighborhood parks
- Historic parks including the Emerald Necklace
- Athletic complexes and golf courses
- Historic burying grounds
- Active cemeteries, and
- Urban Wilds.
Once a project has been identified and funded, Project Managers work with the community to identify specific goals through a series of public meetings and develop a schematic plan to base the bid documents upon.
- Various Court Improvements, city-wide
- Laviscount Playground, Roxbury
- Boston Common Brewer Plaza, central
- Central Square, East Boston
- Commonwealth Avenue Pathways
- Blackstone Fountain, South End
- Granary Burying Ground, central
- Bussey Brook Meadow, Urban Wild
- Mt. Hope Cemetery, Mattapan
- Billings Field, West Roxbury
- Open Space Plan 2016-2020
Bids and proposals
Request for qualifications for consulting services
The procurement of engineering and design services is typically performed through a competitive process in which consultants apply for specific projects based on submitted qualifications.
Parks project managers independently review submittals. Based on the total points awarded each submittal, a "short list" of candidates will be selected. At the Department's discretion, interviews, or submittals of additional information may be required for the final selection from the "short list" candidates.
Firms will be evaluated based on their qualifications and the directly relevant experience of team members. Only firms with at least one year of operation will be considered. The firm's proposed principal-in-charge or project manager must be a landscape architect or engineer registered in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In addition, project teams should include all other necessary support disciplines as needed for the project.
Bids for construction or services over $10,000
Specifications and plans must be picked up at the Boston Parks and Recreation Design and Construction Unit office located at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02118-2600. No plans will be mailed to prospective bidders.
A deposit in the form of a bank check or certified money order is required at the time you pick up plan and specification packages. The typical non-refundable fee for plans and specifications is $100.00.
Information for prospective bidders
All Plans and Specifications relating to goods and services for the Boston Parks and Recreation Department must be picked up at our office located at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02118-2600.
- Identify the plans and specifications you would like to take. Identify the deposit amount required on prospective bidder list.
- Fill out a blank deposit envelope with all required information. Place the deposit check inside the envelope and tear off the receipt for your records.
- Deposit the check envelope inside the deposit box.
- Fill out all required information on the prospective bidder list.
- Certified bank checks or money orders are the only form of acceptable deposits. NO PERSONAL OR COMPANY CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Fill out all required information including the bid date.
- A separate check must be submitted for each set of plans taken.
- The fee is non-refundable.
IF YOU TAKE PLANS OR SPECIFICATIONS WITHOUT PROVIDING THE REQUIRED DEPOSIT YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE BID PROCESS.