Improvements to Smith Playground
The Boston Parks and Recreation Department began a master plan of Smith Playground after years of advocacy by the Harvard Allston Task Force. The 2016 Master plan:
- re-organizes the ballfields to remove overlapping uses
- provides passive spaces for neighborhood use of the park
- adds a perimeter pedestrian path for wayfinding and walking, and
- upgrades facilities and features.
Design of Phase 1 improvements is ongoing during 2017, funded by the Harvard Allston Public Realm Flexible Fund and the City of Boston Capital Improvement Fund. Phase 1 includes the play area, new water play feature, amphitheater, multipurpose field, basketball courts, a street hockey court, and passive plaza space along Western Avenue.
- Construction budget: $5,000,000
- Project features: Amphitheater, passive use, playground, water play, basketball, multi-use field, street hockey, baseball, softball
- Consultant: Stantec Planning & Landscape Architecture, Inc.
- Contractor: To be determined
We place information on upcoming and previous meetings in the public notices section of Boston.gov.
- Smith Field Phase 1 Implementation Community Meeting #3 agenda (November 30, 2016)
- Smith Field Phase 1 Implementation Community Meeting #3 presentation (November 30, 2016)
- Smith Field Phase 1 Implementation Play Area Community Meeting agenda (April 25, 2017)
- Smith Field Phase 1 Implementation Play Area Community Meeting presentation (April 25, 2017)
- Smith Field Phase 1 Implementation Play Area Community Meeting Video (April 25, 2017)