Open Newbury Street
Newbury Street is a mile-long, eight block stretch of shops, salons, galleries and restaurants. This famous Boston street becomes a pedestrian-only walkway on Sundays in the summer. The street is closed to vehicles to allow pedestrians the opportunity to use the full width of the street, from Berkeley Street to Massachusetts Avenue.
Open Newbury Street is an annual open streets event organized by the City of Boston. Thanks for a great Open Newbury Street 2021. See you next year!
Are you interested in writing about Open Newbury Street for a publication? Check out the press kit, including event photography, here.
How do you feel about Open Newbury Street? Send your thoughts to OpenNewbury@boston.gov to let us know!
Newbury Street will be car-free from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., from Berkeley Street to Massachusetts Avenue.
The intersections of Exeter Street, Fairfield Street, Gloucester Street and Hereford Street will be car-free. The remaining intersections will be open to vehicular traffic for public safety access. Parking will be restricted beginning at 5 a.m.
- Arlington and Copley stations on the Green Line
- Back Bay Station on the Orange Line
- Back Bay Station via Commuter Rail
- Bike corrals are stationed throughout the event.
- There are multiple Blue Bikes stations on streets adjacent to Newbury Street.
- There are multiple parking garages available in the Copley Square area south of Boylston Street.
Information for businesses
The City of Boston encourages all businesses to take part in Open Newbury Street by activating their outdoor spaces.
To participate as a business, you must have a brick-and-mortar location on Newbury Street. Do you represent a business on Newbury Street and would like to set up an event outside? Please fill out our online form to alert us to your plans. Contact Jacob Wessel at email@example.com with any questions.
We're excited to hear about what you're planning, and look forward to making this year's Open Newbury Street days successful for your business!
NOTE: All deliveries must be made before 9 a.m. on pedestrian-only days.
You may use the parking lane directly in front of your business from 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. on Open Newbury Street days:
- Sidewalks must be kept clear for wheelchair access.
- Maintain a minimum 20-foot fire lane through the center of the street.
Please discuss your plans with your neighboring businesses to avoid conflicts!
- If you use a tent, the maximum size is 10 feet by 10 feet.
- If you play music, clear it with your neighbors and keep it under 70 decibels.