A safer, slower American Legion
American Legion should be more comfortable for walking, waiting for the bus, crossing the street, and riding bikes with your family. We can make design changes in the coming year to improve safety for everyone.
2021 spring construction update
In April 2021, we started installing flex posts along American Legion. These vertical posts provide a physical separation between the bike lane and the vehicle travel lanes or parking lane. They help reinforce pavement markings. They also reduce people passing by using the bike lane.
- We have designated time for vehicles to make a left turn (from American Legion onto Franklin Hill Avenue) without oncoming traffic or pedestrians crossing.
- This change also allows for us to set the WALK across Franklin Hill to come up every cycle. The signal will remain on for as long as vehicles on American Legion get a green light.
- Estimated completion date: Friday, April 16
Explore the Phase I Design Changes
Project updatesProject updates
In October 2020, we updated our plans based on your feedback. We began removing the old pavement markings and installing new ones. We added green paint and bike symbols to the new bike lanes.
In November 2020, we removed the signs that were no longer relevant and installed new ones. We found out there were delays in the purchase and installation of flexible delineator posts for this project.
In January 2021, the traffic signals along the corridor were adjusted. You will notice a longer crossing time for pedestrians at most signalized intersections.
We're grateful to all the community members who have shared their stories and concerns. We appreciated talking with you about potential design changes that will help slow drivers and improve safety.
We offered two opportunities for a virtual presentation and short discussion. We offered the same presentation in each meeting. Meetings were available in English and in Spanish. You can view the recording of these meetings:
Neighbors stopped by to chat with a member of our team in-person. We were outside:
- Tuesday, September 22, from 7 - 9 a.m. at the intersection of Stella Road and American Legion
- Thursday, September 24, from 4:30 - 7:30 p.m. at the intersection of Shandon Road and Fermoy Heights Avenue
- Saturday, September 26, from noon - 3 p.m. at the Franklin Park Playground at American Legion
- Tuesday, September 29, from 4 - 7 p.m. at the intersection of Stella Road and American Legion
For the safety of you, your neighbors, and City staff, we followed state and City guidelines for meetings. All attendees were required to wear a face covering and stay six feet away from others.