Charlestown Community Impact Fund
The fund was created as a condition of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission’s approval for Wynn Resorts to run a casino in Everett. Wynn made a $1 million payment to the fund in 2016. Emme Handy, the chief financial officer and collector-treasurer of the City of Boston, administers the fund.
After the casino opens, Wynn will make a $2 million payment to the fund each year. At that point, we will expand the fund to help address the effects of the casino’s opening. This will include the impact on:
- water transportation in Boston Harbor
- pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic, and
- Sullivan Square in Charlestown.
We aim to use the first $1 million in the fund to support a mix of Charlestown nonprofits. We will award one-time grants in the range of $5,000 to $10,000. Depending on how many applications we receive — and how many grants we award — we may offer awards that are less than the amount requested in a grant application.
A managing committee — made of up Collector-Treasurer Emme Handy and six other officials — will review applications and approve awards. Learn more about our process.
Have questions? Contact us:
We award grants twice each year in the spring and fall. When the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, we accept applications until the next business day.
- For spring applications, the deadline is April 15. We'll award grants on May 31.
- For fall applications, the deadline is September 1. We'll award grants on October 15.
To qualify for a mini-grant, your nonprofit or group must be from Charlestown. You need to be a 501(c)(3), or have the ability to accept and expend grant funds (Learn more about these requirements). Your project also must address a need in the Charlestown community.
We will work with a number of nonprofits and groups, including those focused on Charlestown’s:
- parks and public spaces
- after-school activities
- senior programs
- job training programs, and
- cultural activities and events.
Please put together your grant proposal in this order:
- Grant Application Cover Sheet (please fill out attached form)
- Proposal title
- Project goal and summary (limited to one page)
- Detailed project narrative (limited to three pages)
- Timeline of your action plan (limited to one page)
- Your budget for the project (please fill out attached form)
- Mission and brief history of your organization (limited to one page)
- Your current leadership (officers, directors, board members, and key staff)
- Your group’s current overall operating budget
After you complete your project — or at the request of the City — you will need to also complete a grant reporting form. This form helps us track your progress or review your plans and decisions at the end of a project.
Before you can receive funds, you’ll need to sign the City of Boston’s grant agreement form.