Before you get started
We offer loans through our 3D Home Equity Loan Program. The loans are interest-free and cover many repairs to the inside and outside of your home.
We offer up to $30,000 for approved repairs on triple-decker homes. You can learn more about the program in our 3D loan fact sheet.
We help you through the whole process, including:
- writing up home repair details on behalf of the homeowner.
- collecting and reviewing bids from contractors
- checking on work quality, and
- doing a final inspection once everything is complete.
Keep in mind, your project may qualify for other resources, including Energy Conservation Assistance.
Get your info together
The Boston Home Center collects and reviews bids from contractors. We base your loan on the estimated cost of the project.
Mail us your application
You can send your completed application, forms, and estimates to:
The Boston Home Center
26 Court St., 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
We’ll send out a specialist to meet you and review your project before we approve the loan. If you suffer from any health or safety issues, we'll put you at the top of our list.
Finish your project and pay your loans
We'll give you a commitment letter and schedule the loan closing if we approve your loan. Once you have closed on the loan, you can sign an agreement with your contractor and they can get a building permit. Your contractor will give us invoices as they do the repairs.
Your contractor must get a final sign-off from us once they finish the job. Inspectional Services will sign off on the final building permit. A Boston Home Center construction specialist will review the final work for payment.
You have to pay us back based on the terms of the loan.
You need to meet some requirements to qualify for a home repair loan:
- You need to own and live in a triple-decker in Boston. Find out if your home is a triple-decker.
- Your household income must be at or below 135 percent of the Area Median Income.
- You need to use at least one-third of the loan for repairs on the outside of your home.
- If your income is above 120 percent of the Area Median Income, you must provide a dollar for dollar match of the loan amount.
Repairs you can and can't do
You can use loans for repairs to the inside or outside of your home, like changing a bathroom or fixing a porch. You can’t use the loan for luxury repairs, like adding a Jacuzzi or granite counter tops.
We're testing out suggested content on Boston.gov below. If you see anything out of place, let us know at email@example.com.