VIP's goal is to strengthen the ability to prevent violence using community engagement and action. The VIP Initiative works with residents, community leaders, and organizations to meet the following objectives:
- VIP Neighborhood Coalitions recognize and promote neighborhood assets as they determine neighborhood needs.
- Children and youth engage in positive activities, develop leadership skills, and take leadership roles in the neighborhood.
- Residents have equitable access to the necessary resources for physical and emotional wellness.
- The physical environment of the neighborhood encourages outdoor activity and social connection.
- When incidents of violence occur community members lead public actions. They shift norms and expectations about violence and promote community building.