2021 BCYF Summer Grants now available for local agencies
Grants will support summer programming for youth in Boston.
Mayor Kim Janey and Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) today announced the release of the 2021 BCYF Summer Grants RFP, inviting nonprofit youth-serving groups to apply for a grant of up to $5,000 or $10,000 to support fun, safe, enriching youth programming this summer. These grants will increase both the number and variety of programs serving youth, ensuring that youth across the City of Boston have access to activities and opportunities this summer. Applications for grant funding are due Friday, May 7, 2021, at 5 p.m.
“Boston Centers for Youth & Families’ summer grant supports the innovative and engaging programming provided by our non-profit partners during the summer months,” said Mayor Janey. “Thousands of Boston’s young people will have a great summer because the organizations the BCYF Summer Grant supports. Thank you to all of our partners who help bring this important work to Boston’s youth”
The grants will support summer programs in Boston neighborhoods, serving youth ages 6-18 and may include young adults up to age 21. Programs must operate between July 1 and August 31. In 2019, of the 58 programs that were awarded funding, 60% were art-based, educational or community and civic engagement opportunities, while the remaining 40% had sports, recreation, fitness, or a health-related focus. Over 80% of grantees provided specialized programs that incorporated educational components to youth about substance abuse, provided a therapeutic approach to accommodate youth impacted by trauma, and created an opportunity for meaningful youth summer employment.
“Even though BCYF offers hundreds of summer programs, we rely on our non-profit partners to join us in keeping Boston’s youth happy, healthy, and safe during the summer,” said William Morales, Commissioner of BCYF. “In 2021, as we embark on the implementation phase of our strategic planning process, we will be looking closely at which programs best align with our priorities as an organization and strive to be more deliberate and intentional with this grant.”
“Thanks to the BCYF Summer Grant, "e" inc. was able to propose and execute a dynamic new science model with our BCYF partner, the Gallivan Community Center in Mattapan,” said Dr. Ricky Stern, Executive Director, “e” inc. “At BCYF Gallivan, we were able to carry out a 3-day-a-week science program that was not only enriching and exciting for our children but also resulted in 40% gains in pre versus post quiz results across the team. The BCYF Summer Grant allowed for field trips in nature, art renderings of many new ideas, and hands-on science programming.”
The deadline to apply is 5:00 pm on Friday, May 7. Applicants must provide information about their procedures in following current State and public health COVID protocols. To register for BCYF’s Bidder’s Conference taking place on Wednesday, April 14, at 2 p.m., please register online. For more information, including the RFP, please visit Boston.Gov/BCYF-Summer-Grant.About Boston Centers for Youth and Families
Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) is the City of Boston’s largest youth and human service agency. BCYF operates 36 community centers in Boston that offer a variety of engaging and enriching programs for people of all ages created through community input and need. BCYF also oversees citywide programs including the nationally-recognized violence intervention and prevention SOAR Program, the GIRLS Initiative, Camp Joy special needs program, and many aquatic offerings.
- Last updated:
- Published by: Boston Centers for Youth & Families