Events, resources, and charities for the holidays
The winter holidays are on us. People often take this time to spend with family and friends and reflect on the year, or connect with others out in the community.
For others, the holidays can be a stressful time for many who cope with the increase in responsibilities, grief or loss, financial issues, and obligations that can feel overwhelming. Whether you are looking to give back to the community, or need resources of your own, this year we wanted to continue our tradition of linking to different events, resources, and charities, listed below.
- Here's a list of Boston-area holiday events, many of which are free to the community!
- This site lists an assortment of Christmas assistance programs for families in need.
- My Brother's Keeper, an area charity, offers assistance to those in need in the area, providing food, furniture, and other forms of support. They also offer volunteer opportunities.
- Toys for Tots takes toy donations yearly and provides them as gifts for children in need.
- Christmas in the City provides resources to the City of Boston's homeless and in-need population. They host a yearly community event helping to provide a Christmas experience for them.
- This helpful database lists many different types of holiday resources, ranging from limited financial assistance to holiday meals and toys. Other areas in Massachusetts are also represented in this list.
- For those coping with grief during the holidays, MassGeneral Hospital offers this helpful tips and resources page. You can also find more support groups for children and family.
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness Massachusetts offers this list of family support groups to help those that may benefit from reaching out during the holidays. 1-800-273-8255 for immediate support.