Site Cleanliness is required for all food, automotive establishment, and all business and residential owners who use bulk refuse containers.
The Site Cleanliness Ordinance regulates:
- the overflow of all dumpsters
- wind-blown litter, and
- rodent activity that occurs as a result of poor trash practices.
Your applications for the license needs to include:
- a completed Site Cleanliness Application and your payment
- a site plan indicating the location of the dumpster and how close it is to neighboring properties or public way
- the location of any required fencing or screening
- a maintenance plan and schedule
- a solid waste proposal plan that includes a copy of the solid waste disposal contract
- a rodent or pest control contract, and
- a license from Public Works (if the dumpster is on a public way. Learn how to get a street occupancy permit.
The license fee is $50. The fee must be made payable to Boston Inspectional Services, and must be renewed every year.
Failure to Comply
If you operate or maintain a bulk refuse container without a license, or fail to maintain a licensed dumpster or site based on the terms of your license, you will be found to be in violation of the ordinance.
Violation of the Site Cleanliness Ordinance may result in fines of up to $1000 per day after the third offense.