Visually Impaired People Tax Preparation Pilot
Through this pilot, the Boston Tax Help Coalition (BTHC) will provide free tax preparation along with necessary accommodations to visually impaired taxpayers.
The BTHC provides free, high quality tax preparation for those earning $60,000 or less. To provide more inclusive access to free tax services, we've launched the Visually Impaired People (VIP) Tax Preparation Pilot.
The 2023 VIP Pilot will take place at the Center for Working Families, 7 Palmer Street, 2nd floor, Roxbury, MA 02119. The service will be available Wednesdays — February 1, 8, 15, and 22, March 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29— from 1 - 5 p.m.
Questions? Contact:Boston Tax Help Coalition
How to Use the VIP Pilot
Taxpayers must bring the following documents to get their taxes prepared:
- Non-expired photo ID required
- Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer ID Letter (ITIN) for you, your dependents, and your spouse
- Massachusetts Commission of the Blind Certificate of Blindness
- A copy of 2022 tax return
- All 1099 forms: 1099-G (unemployment), 1099-R (pension payments), 1099-INT (bank interest), 1099-SSA (Social Security), or self-employment
- W2 forms from all jobs in 2022 (if filing past years, forms from all jobs that year)
- Bank account and routing numbers to direct deposit your tax refund into your account
- Proof of health insurance (health insurance cards, HC-1099 and 1095-A) 1095-B if applicable for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents. Taxpayers who have received or expect to receive health insurance credits need to bring proof of ALL household income.
- If you received the premium tax credit, you must bring in a 1095-A
- Total childcare expenses in 2022, and childcare provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
- All 1098-T forms (tuition payments), college statements, receipts for materials
- Total rent paid in 2022
- Proof of ANY deductible out of pocket expenses (annual BWSC, charitable receipts, property taxes)
- Any mail from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue and IRS
- The IRS letter that says you received the Child Tax Credit (if you got this credit)
To make an appointment:
Call 617-918-5260 and speak to a staffer or leave a message to receive a return phone call to schedule an appointment.
On appointment day, taxpayers will be welcomed and guided from the entrance lobby at 7 Palmer Street, to the elevator, and to the second floor offices.
The tax preparation process will include:
- Intake/IRS documents
- The Financial Check-Up
- Tax Preparation
- Signature and Filing
We welcome your participation and look forward to hearing from you!