Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Heat Emergency in Boston
Mayor Wu announced a heat emergency in the City of Boston through Wednesday, July 17. Cooling centers will be open at 14 BCYF community centers Monday through Wednesday, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Last updated:

Our work at Consumer Affairs and Licensing

Find out how our division protects your rights as a consumer.

We oversee the interaction between companies and consumers in the City. Through our work with the Massachusetts attorney general’s office, we also educate the public about their rights as customers.

We handle complaints against businesses inside and outside of Boston and try to resolve complaints before they end up in court. If you do take legal action, we can tell you about different services to help you resolve your issue. In some cases, we may even be able to act as a mediator.

Have a Complaint?

You have rights as a consumer. If you feel those rights have been violated, we can help. Please call us at 617-635-3834 if:

  • you feel a business was unfair to you and you couldn’t resolve the issue
  • you want to know how to get a business to respond to you, or
  • you want help, more information, or copies of our educational pamphlets.

If you want, you can also file a formal complaint against a business.

Know Your Rights as a Consumer

Our division works on a number of consumer problems, including issues with cars, homes, and banks. We also offer tips for dealing with businesses on these issues:

Entertainment Licensing

A company needs to get an entertainment license for certain activities. With the licenses, we can make sure businesses meet our safety standards and are fair to consumers. Our division processes new licenses and renewals, inspects events, and handles violations.

We license:

  • live entertainment, like restaurant and nightclub events
  • non-live entertainment, like jukeboxes and arcades, and
  • one-time events, like carnivals and exhibitions.

Learn more about the different types of entertainment licenses, and how to get one.

Back to top