Our work at Consumer Affairs and Licensing
We oversee the interaction between companies and consumers in the City. Through our work with the Massachusetts attorney general’s office, we also educate the public about their rights as customers.
We handle complaints against businesses inside and outside of Boston, and try to resolve complaints before they end up in court. If you do take legal action, we can tell you about different services to help you resolve your issue. In some cases, we may even be able to act as a mediator.
Have a complaint?
You have rights as a consumer. If you feel those rights have been violated, we can help. Please call us at 617-635-3834 if:
- you feel a business was unfair to you and you couldn’t resolve the issue
- you want to know how to get a business to respond to you, or
- you want help, more information, or copies of our educational pamphlets.
Know your rights as a consumer
Our division works on a number of consumer problems, including issues with cars, homes, and banks. We also offer tips for dealing with businesses on these issues:
- Buying vs. leasing a car
- Your rights when buying a used car
- Predatory lenders
- Apartment scams
- Protecting your credit
- Telemarketing scams
- Your rights when shopping
- Your rights when you move
- Internet safety
- Working with home contractors
A company needs to get an entertainment license for certain activities. With the licenses, we can make sure businesses meet our safety standards and are fair to consumers. Our division processes new licenses and renewals, inspects events, and handles violations.
- live entertainment, like restaurant and nightclub events
- non-live entertainment, like jukeboxes and arcades, and
- one-time events, like carnivals and exhibitions.
Learn more about the different types of entertainment licenses, and how to get one.