City Hall Plaza renovation
The seven-acre plaza is one of the City’s largest civic spaces. For the last 50 years, it has hosted events ranging from sports celebrations and political rallies to seasonal cultural festivals. Mayor Walsh is investing in City Hall Plaza to move toward a more accessible, sustainable, and comfortable shared space for all Bostonians and visitors.PROJECT TEAM
This project is currently in design. It is being managed, designed, and implemented by:
- the City’s Operations Cabinet
- the Public Facilities Department
- the Property Management Department
- Sasaki, a global design firm based in the Boston area (Design Lead), and
- Skanska USA, a global project development and construction group (City's project manager).
A contractor will be selected once the design is completed.
This first phase of the project builds on the principles set forth by:
- the Rethink City Hall Master Planning Study, led by Utile and Reed Hilderbrand
- the historical legacy of the original design, and
- recent experiments on the plaza over the last five years, including Boston Seasons, Lunch on the Lawn, the City Hall lobby renovation, and the exterior lighting installation.
The success of Boston Seasons on City Hall Plaza — including Boston Winter and The Patios — has shown the space’s potential. It has also shown the need for infrastructure improvements and system upgrades to sustain events of all sizes. This includes work to improve accessibility and access to power, water, and data. We want to ensure long-term success for the City, event organizers, and vendors.