Leaf and Yard Waste Composting
Leaf and yard waste is collected the same day as regular household recycling. If you have two recycling collections per week, your yard waste collection will be on the first recycling day of the week. Check the Trash and Recycling Day app to view your collection schedule.
Leaf and yard waste will not be collected curbside on non-collection weeks.
Leaf and yard waste drop-off events are for Boston residents only. You must provide a photo ID, utility bill, or lease as proof of residency. We will not accept any waste from businesses. We also reserve the right to reject any materials that do not meet our regulations.
Upcoming drop-off datesDrop-off dates
2023 Leaf and Yard Waste Dates2023 Dates
Leaf and yard waste tips
- Place your barrels, bags, and branches curbside by 6 a.m.
- Yard waste is collected on the same day as your recycling collection day. If you have two recycling days each week, yard waste collection is on the first recycling day of the week.
- Place leaves and yard debris in large paper bags or open barrels labeled YARD WASTE.
- Never use plastic bags for leaf & yard waste.
- Branches must not be larger than three feet long and one inch thick, and tied with a string.
- Bamboo is accepted, as long as pieces are cut to be less than three feet in length, and tied with a string.
Christmas Tree Collection
Community Garden Compost Request
Compost made from Boston's leaf and yard waste can be provided to community gardens at no cost. We have finished compost delivery for the 2023 season. Check back in Spring 2024 for information about how to receive compost for your community garden!