Lower South Street and Vicinity Neighborhood
Neighborhood Slow Streets is an approach to street safety requests on minor residential streets in Boston. We're focused on street designs that self-enforce slower speeds and safer behaviors. Through this program, we aim to:
- reduce the number and severity of crashes on the minor residential streets
- create safer streets for walking and biking
- add to the quality of life in neighborhoods.
The Lower South Street and Vicinity Neighborhood was added to the Neighborhood Slow Streets program in summer 2020. The City of Boston prioritizes neighborhoods for traffic-calming to first serve those areas with the most need. We use data to prioritize communities with more youth, elders, and people with disabilities and where there are more public places, such as libraries, schools, and parks. We also consider the crash rate per mile on local streets.
Learn more about the design
FALL 2022 DROP-BY MEETINGS RECAP
chat with the project team:
We invited residents to chat with us and review the Slow Streets plan:Tuesday, August 16, 2022 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
Arboretum - South Street at Archdale RoadTuesday, September 20, 2022 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
Healy Field - Florence Street
Community MeetingsCommunity Meetings
We start our design process by listening to residents' concerns. We asked people to share what they see happening on their streets and how they feel while out walking, bicycling, or driving. We use residents' stories and concerns to inform the design approach for the Slow Streets zone.
In the Lower South Street Neighborhood Slow Streets zone, we solicited feedback via:
- An online survey. Residents were able provide details and upload photos that describe their safety concerns. The survey was available in English, Haitian Creole, and Spanish. The survey was mobile-friendly.
- A mailed survey. Residents could choose to download and print the survey and send it to us by mail or email. Here's what the survey looked like.
MAP OF STREETS IN THE SLOW STREETS ZONE
Map of Project Area
Streets marked in blue are within project area.