Healthy and Green Retrofit Pilot Program
For this pilot program, the Mayor’s Office of Housing selected 10 building owners through a lottery on October 25. View the lottery results.
The 10 owners participating in the pilot program will receive an energy assessment from a qualified decarbonization advisor who will identify specific retrofit opportunities tailored to their building.
Want to be notified about the next lottery? Please fill out our expression of interest form. Want to learn more about electrification and decarbonizing? These resources may help.
- Boston's Community First Partnership supports residents and small business owners with no-cost energy audits and cost-saving energy-efficiency upgrades through the Mass Save program.
- Boston residents and small business owners can save money and get renewable energy when they opt-in to Boston Community Choice Electricity (BCCE). The Program allows the City to secure electricity at a competitive rate, which is passed on to residents who opt-in.
- Mass Clean Energy Center’s Go Clean website provides detailed information and resources for Massachusetts residents who want to decarbonize, including technical solutions, incentives, installer directory, and customer stories.
Based on this assessment, owners will then collaborate with these advisors to create a custom green retrofit plan for their building. The plan will detail components of decarbonization work such as:
- better insulation and air sealing
- improved ventilation
- new appliances
- air conditioning
- and even the installation of rooftop solar panels
To achieve this work, building owners may receive:
- up to $50,000 per unit,
- assistance accessing energy efficiency financial incentives,
- construction management services including bidding and hiring a general contractor,
- and construction oversight and inspections throughout the process.
* An annual household income at or below 120 percent of Area Median Income (AMI) is:
- 1 person: $124,680
- 2 persons: $142,560
- 3 persons: $160,320
- 4 persons: $178,080
- 5 persons: $192,360
- 6 persons: $206,640
** Maximum allowable rent at or below 80 percent of Area Median Income (AMI) is:
- 0 bedroom/Studio: $1,531
- 1 bedroom: $1,793
- 2 bedroom: $2,033
- 3 bedroom: $2,280
- 4 bedroom: $2,525
Benefits to Residents
How It Works + Benefits to Building Owners
Building owners participating in the Program will receive a comprehensive energy assessment and a custom green retrofit plan. The plan will include information on:
- the current energy performance of the building,
- options to reduce the energy consumption of the building through a targeted set of improvements over 1-15 years,
- and potential decarbonization work.
Then, building owners will be eligible for up to $50,000 per unit for improvements outlined in the plan, which could include:
- better insulation,
- envelope upgrades,
- air sealing,
- conversion to electric systems,
- and required interventions such as electrical panel upgrades, mitigation of old wiring or environmental hazards, and upgraded ventilation.