Get fit in July!
July 1, 2019
Summer is officially here, and a great way to help kick off the season is to change up your exercise routine! Incorporating exercise just three days a week can substantially improve not only your physical health, but your mental health as well. However, getting started, or starting again after a long break, can feel overwhelming. There are many different types and categories of exercise, often attached to gyms or paid classes. This month, we wanted to showcase some free community classes offered in the area, as well as guides for do-it-yourself workouts.
- The Boston Public Health Commission is running its yearly Summer Fitness Series. This series, which began June 3 and continues through September 28, offers free guided exercise classes hosted at different local parks in the Boston area. Classes are open to different skill sets of all ages.
- The Boston Calendar features more free fitness classes in and around the Boston area.
- Want to work out solo, but not sure how to get started? Here's a fitness guide for absolute beginners, touching on cardio, strength, and stretching.
- Boston Magazine offers a beginner’s guide to strength training, focusing on weightlifting.
- Remember that stretching is important! Newcomers often forget to stretch, and can cause themselves significant discomfort and even injury, thwarting plans to get healthy. This stretching guide will show standard stretches that apply to many different types of workout.
Have a hearty and healthy summer!