Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Last updated:

Resolving Conflicts with Tenants

Tools are available to help landlords resolve conflicts with tenants including unpaid rent, potential eviction and other disputes.

Help Tenants Catch Up on Rent

The Rental Relief Fund can help your tenant catch up on their rent payments.

If your tenant continues to fall behind on their payments you can refer them to the Rental Relief Fund. They may qualify to receive federal funds to help towards their rent payments. This program is easy to apply for. It can help your tenant get a fresh start and help you to avoid an unplanned vacancy. 

Learn more about the Rental Relief Fund

Housing Dispute Mediation

We offer mediation services to help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants

We help resolve conflicts between tenants, landlords, roommates, and neighbors. Mediators meet with the involved parties. All conversations are confidential and only participants control the outcome. This service is low or no-cost.

Learn more about mediation services

Your Tenant's Rights

The Housing Stability Notification Act requires landlords to notify tenants of their rights, and provide information about specific resources, if they are planning to serve a notice to quit, or otherwise ending a lease.  

Housing Stability Notification Act

All landlords must meet all regulations regarding security deposits, code violations, and safety hazards. Failure to do so may hinder your ability to complete an eviction and could give tenants grounds to have withheld rent.

Learn more about tenant rights

Evicting a Tenant

The Eviction Process

Landlords must follow a specific procedure to pursue an eviction. Only a judge can issue an eviction.

  • Landlord serves tenant a notice to quit along with informing them of their rights via the Housing Stability Notification Act
  • Landlord initiates a court case.
  • The tenant responds to the case including possible counterclaims.
  • The notice to quit is either resolved through housing dispute mediation, dismissed, or proceeds to trial.
  • If the tenant loses the trial the judge will issue an execution and give notice of the move out date.

Learn more about the eviction process

Back to top