Public safety and criminal justice
We evaluate criminal justice and crime prevention policies, as well as delivery of services for public safety agencies and programs. This includes police and fire protection in all neighborhoods.
We work with county, state, and federal agencies and community groups on issues related to:
- jails and prisons
- lowering the prison population, and
- preventing those who get locked up from returning to a life of crime.
As part of our work, we focus on homeland security and terrorism. Our goal is to keep the public safe. We also work on public safety issues that affect women and girls together with the Committee on Healthy Women, Families, and Communities.
Have questions for our committee?
Please email us at email@example.com.Need to Know
The City Council is made up of 15 standing committees. We also create special committees to address certain needs in Boston.
Groups we oversee
- Emergency Storm Center
- Public Safety Commission
- Safe Neighborhood Initiative
- Suffolk County Jail
- Suffolk County House of Correction
- State and federal anti-crime and criminal justice reform efforts
- County correctional matters