Early Voting in Boston
To vote early, you must be a registered Boston voter. Any registered Boston voter can vote at any early voting location. You don’t need an excuse or reason to vote early. Not sure if you’re registered? Find out your voter registration status.
The deadline to register to vote is Saturday, August 27. The Election Department will stay open that day until 5 p.m. for voter registrations, but you can also register on the state's website.
Have questions? Contact:Elections
Did you apply to vote by mail?
If you plan to return your ballot in person instead of mailing it, we will have drop boxes available across the City. You have until 8 p.m. on Election Day to drop off your ballot.
You can also drop off your ballot at any early voting location during the City's early voting period.
Vote early in person
What is early voting?
For the State Primary on Tuesday, September 6, 2022, early voting takes place in the City of Boston from Saturday, August 27, through Friday, September 2.
Unlike traditional polling, you don’t have to vote at your assigned polling location. Vote at the location that is most convenient for you. All ballot styles will be available at every early voting location.
All early voting locations are accessible to voters with disabilities. Every location will also have AutoMark machines for voters who need help marking their ballots.
Where to vote
There are a number of early voting sites for the State Election, including Boston City Hall. If you plan to vote early, you have until 5 p.m. on Friday, September 2.
If you miss the early voting period, you can still vote on Tuesday, September 6, on the date of the State Primary.
Vote Early by Mail
Send us an application
If you want to cast your early ballot by mail for the 2022 State Primary, you must submit an application before 5 p.m. on Monday, August 29. Please download, print out, and complete the early voting request application:
- 2022 vote-by-mail application (English) / Solicitud de Voto por Correo 2022 (Español)
- 2022 vote-by-mail application (English) / Đơn Xin Bầu Bằng Thư 2022 (Tiếng Việt)
- 2022 vote-by-mail application (English) / 2022 年郵寄投票申請表 (中文)
You can scan your signed application and email it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to us at 617-635-4483. You can also mail your completed application to:
1 City Hall Square, Room 241
Boston, MA 02201
Send us your ballot
We’ll send you an Early Voting Ballot in the mail with a set of return envelopes. You can mail the ballot or drop it at any drop box location throughout the City.
- If you plan to return your ballot in person instead of mailing it, we have drop boxes available across the City. You have until 8 p.m. on Election Day to drop off your ballot. You can also drop off your ballot at any early voting location during the City's early voting period.
- If you mail your ballot, it must be received by the Election Department by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, September 6.