Back to top

Inspecting housing in Boston

Last updated: 7/15/16

Inspecting housing in Boston

Learn about the Housing Division at Inspectional Services, and what we do for Boston residents.

We enforce state and City housing laws. These laws protect the health and safety of the public. Here’s how we regulate housing quality in Boston.

Still have questions? Contact:
Inspectional Services
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th Floor
Boston, MA 02118
United States

Rental program

Registering rental properties

All rental property owners must register their housing with us. You have to register your rental property every year by July 1. Find out how to register.

Rental inspections

We do random rental inspections at least once every five years. We'll notify you if we choose to inspect your property. Learn more about rental inspections.  

Student housing

We created a report on student housing trends in the City. We're trying to increase opportunities for student housing by 2030. See how we're doing.

Housing codes

We enforce housing codes to protect the health of tenants and the public. You can learn about City housing codes, or read a full list of the state laws.  You have rights as well as rules to follow as a tenant. Learn about your responsibilities as a tenant.

If you think there's a violation of housing code, you can contact one of our inspectors, or contact BOS: 311.

More information

We’re working to improve the quality of housing in the City. You can find out how we handle pest infestations and hoarding. We protect elderly and disabled housing in the City, and make sure homes are safe for children with asthma through our Breathe Easy at Home program.