Get rid of household hazardous waste
COVID-19 update: Due to the public health emergency, we have postponed our June hazardous waste drop-off. For future events, there are certain restrictions in place:
- You will need to stay in your car at all times during our drop-off events.
- To limit contact, we will not return containers back to you.
- All waste must be in the trunk of your car or in the bed of your truck.
- If your waste is inside your car when you arrive — instead of your trunk or the bed of your truck — you will be given the option to leave the line of cars, place your waste in the trunk or bed, and then come back through the line.
We only take waste from Boston residents. You need to show us proof of your residency. We will not take any waste from businesses, and we reserve the right to reject any materials that you bring.
There are no upcoming events available at this time.
Keep in mind
- We only take waste from Boston residents. You need to show us proof of your residency. We will not take any waste from businesses.
- Latex and acrylic paint are NOT hazardous. Just let the paint dry out in the can and put it out on your trash day.
- We offer paper shredding at all of our events. We will shred up to 10 copy paper size boxes or containers of your personal documents.
- We accept all clothing and textiles, including pants, coats, hats, and suits. As long as it’s dry and not moldy, we want it. But, there are certain items that we can't accept.
- You can also recycle electronics at this event. We don't take commercial material from businesses. Learn more about what electronics you can — and can't — recycle.
- If you have any questions about our drop-offs, please contact BOS:311.
What we will takeWhat we take
- Brake fluid
- Car batteries
- Carburetor cleaner
- Engine solvents
- Gasoline and kerosene
- Motor oil and oil filters
- Tires (never throw tires out with your regular trash)
- Tire cleaners
- Transmission fluid
- Acids and sulfuric acid, aerosol cans
- Ammonia cleaners, radiator cleaners, rug cleaners, and upholstery cleaners
- Artist supplies and hobby supplies like rubber cement
- Caulk, chemistry set chemicals, pool chemicals
- Driveway sealer, creosote, furnace cement, and roof cement
- Dry-cell batteries, fiberglass resins, and metal cleaners
- Fire starters, flammable liquids, floor-care products, and furniture polish
- Mercury bearing waste from fluorescent lamps, compact fluorescent light bulbs, thermostats, and mercury switches
- Photography chemicals, pool chemicals, propane tanks, and rust preventatives
- Sealant, solvent adhesives, solvent-based cleaners
- Wax stripper and Wood preservatives
- Chlorine bleach
- Drain cleaners
- Lighter fluid
- Moth balls and crystals
- Oven cleaners
- Rodent killers
- Spray starch
- Cesspool cleaners
- Flammable liquids
- Flea and tick powder
- No-pest strips
- Weed killers
- Paint thinners
- Paint strippers
What we will not take
- Asbestos, explosives, radioactive material, printed circuit boards
- Fire extinguishers. Empty them and place them with your regular trash.
- TVs and computer monitors. Call 311 to set up a pickup or place an online request.
- Latex and acrylic paint. Let the paint dry out and set it with your regular trash.
- Medical waste, like prescription pills and medicine.
Safely throw out prescription drugs
Boston police have drug disposal kiosks at several district stations. The kiosks drop-offs are anonymous and safe. Please leave the medication in its container, and erase any names or prescription numbers. The police don’t take prescription drugs from businesses.
You can drop off old or unused prescription drugs 24 hours a day, seven days a week at these locations:
- District A-1: 40 New Sudbury St., Boston, MA 02114
- District A-7: 69 Paris St., East Boston, MA 02128
- District B-2: 2400 Washington St., Roxbury, MA 02119
- District B-3: 1165 Blue Hill Avenue, Mattapan, MA 02124
- District C-6: 101 West Broadway, South Boston, MA 02127
- District C-11: 40 Gibson Street, Dorchester, MA 02122
- District D-4: 650 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02116
- District D-14: 301 Washington St., Brighton, MA 02135
- District E-5: 1708 Centre St., West Roxbury, MA 02132
- District E-13: 3345 Washington St., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
- District E-18: 1249 Hyde Park Ave., Hyde Park, MA 02136