Cambridge Street (Allston) Safety Improvements
We are making safety improvements for Cambridge Street, between Harvard Avenue and Soldiers Field Road, in Allston.
We are making changes to address the most serious safety concerns on the corridor. Our plans for Cambridge Street include only changes that we can build in the near-term. We are not proposing major construction.
Cambridge Street will be redesigned and reconstructed with a future project, the Allston Multimodal Project.
Still have questions? Contact:
Construction is underway! Please observe all posted signage. We expect to be finished mid-summer 2022.View the final design rendering:
Section 1: Harvard Avenue and bridge
Section 2: Lincoln Street to Windom Street
Working with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, we're adding:
- a crosswalk at the on-ramp (it's located on the south side of Cambridge Street, between North Harvard Street and Sorrento Street)
- shortened mixing zones between bicyclists and right-turning drivers, and
- physical separation for the bicycle lanes. The width is enough to support street sweeping and snow plowing equipment.
We are coordinating with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation on final construction documents. We aim to begin construction in 2021.
You can view a rendering of the final design plans. We have made the following notable changes since presenting design concepts in September 2019:
- We moved the start of on-ramp from Cambridge Street eastbound to I-90 east/west further to the east. This shortens the distance between the start of the onramp and the new crosswalk and bike crossing. Drivers will have less distance to speed up when approaching the new crosswalk and bike crossing.
- We completed the design of the intersection of Cambridge Street and Windom Street.
- Where we are using flexposts, they will be spaced 30' apart. Previously, some flexposts were spaced 60' apart.
- The eastbound bus stop at Cambridge Street and Linden Street is moving to the corner of Cambridge Street and Harvard Ave.
We hosted an open house for the project on September 25, 2019, at the Honan-Allston Library.
We collected written and verbal comments from residents.
Larger planning and design studies are underway for Cambridge Street, and Allston and Brighton.