Nubian Square Design Project
The Nubian Square initiative aims to modernize existing conditions and bolster the ongoing municipal and private investment projects in Nubian Square including projects like the Bolling Building, the former Area B-2 Police Station site, and the Plan Nubian Square Parcels
The project will consider a range of improvements for:
- traffic and parking
- buses, pedestrians, and bicycles
- accessibility, and
- the overall safety and beauty of the streets and sidewalks.
Special emphasis will be given to plans that on focus on all modes of transportation and build on previous planning initiatives. The limits of work are generally bounded by:
- Dudley Street between Shawmut Avenue and Harrison Avenue
- Washington Street between Shawmut Extension and Ruggles Street, and
- Warren Street between Kearsage and Washington Street.
We'll continue to partner with the Roxbury community to complete final design during the upcoming year with construction expected to begin on Phase I this spring, followed by Phase II in first quarter 2020. The City has invested over $1 million in design, along with construction funding of approximately $12 million.
We have a graphic illustration of the Nubian Square Complete Streets Project limits of work for design and construction.
Read the Transportation Department's Request for Proposals advertised in Fall of 2011 following the Transportation Action Plan and in anticipation of the Ferdinand Building redevelopment.
Ongoing projects in Nubian Square relevant to the Complete Streets design effort.
Compilation of artist renderings, circulation proposals, architectural drawings and photos.
- Nubian Square Illustrated Concept Plan
- Dudley Street Imagined - Artist's Rendering
- Circulation Alternatives for Discussion
- Warren Street Imagined - Artist's Rendering
- Dudley Square Complete Streets Milestone Schedule
- Roadway Layout Alt #3 Draft
- Roadway Layout Alt #2 Draft
- April 2012 Dudley Parking Map
- Dudley Vision Project Area Map 8-24-11
- BRA Parking Study Presentation 2-28-13
DUDLEY SQAURE COMPLETE STREETS IMPROVEMENT
A summary of improvements from the Nubian Square Phase 2 100% Submission (PDF):
- Curb Extensions - To shorten pedestrian crossing distance.
- Drainage and Utilities - Updated and improved drainage and improvements along: Malcolm X Boulevard, Guild Row, Roxbury Street, Shawmut Avenue, Dudley Street, Warren Avenue, Washington Street, Harrison Avenue, Kearsarge Avenue, Zeigler Street, Taber Street, Vernon Street, and Palmer Street
- Grading - To restore driving surface and drainage utilities. Grading occurred along: Malcolm X Boulevard, Shawmut Avenue, Roxbury Street, Guild Row, Washington Street, Dudley Street, Warren Street, Harrison Avenue, Kearsarge Avenue, Taber Street, Zeigler Street, Marvin Street, Vernon Street, Palmer Street,
- Green Infrastructure - New Permeable pavers were placed along Malcolm X Boulevard, Roxbury Street, Shawmut Avenue, Dudley Street, Washington Avenue, Warren Avenue, and Harrison Avenue. New storm water infiltration trenches were also placed along Guild Row and Roxbury Street, and an impermeable liner was installed between storm water trenches and businesses.
- Pavement Marking and Signage - New pavement markings were painted for pedestrians, cyclists, buses, and other vehicles. Pavement markings include crosswalks, turning lanes and direction, lane markings, stop lines, bicycle lanes/ shared paths,
- Additional signage was also placed in the area. Signage includes traffic control, parking regulations, and street wayfinding.
- Traffic Signals - Traffic signals were replaced and new ones installed, specifically for bicyclist to traverse intersections.
- Landscape Planting - Current landscaping was maintained; dead or broken branches were pruned and trees were prepped for construction with fences and wooden cladding wrapped around trunks. New trees were also planted, prospector elms and green mountain silver lindens.
- Street Lighting - New street lights were installed for safety and visibility.