Melnea Cass Boulevard Design Project
We are rebuilding Melnea Cass Blvd from Columbus Ave to Massachusetts Ave. We are designing the street to follow "Complete Streets" principles: safe, comfortable design for people of all ages and abilities to walk, bike, take a bus, or drive. The project will support economic development along the corridor.
The current design proposes:
- creating a pedestrian-friendly environment with new sidewalks that are generally 8' wide
- bike lanes that are separated from vehicles and sidewalks
- efficient traffic flow with all-new signal equipment and updated timing
- better bus stops with space to comfortably wait
We're building on the conclusions of the Roxbury Strategic Master Plan.
We'll work on the design in consultation with all relevant City and state agencies, neighborhood groups, and corridor abutters. As part of this project, we plan to coordinate with the designs for the South Bay Harbor Trail and neighboring development parcels.By the numbers
The initial City of Boston investment of $2.2 million for design is being supported by federal earmark and state matching funds for construction, totaling about $25 million.
With the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), we held a Design Public Hearing on March 1. Public comments were accepted at the meeting. People may continue to provide comments directly to MassDOT until March 16, 2018. Please refer to the Meeting Packet for additional information on submitting comments.WHAT's NEXT
We will review all comments shared by the public. We will continue to refine the design. Later in 2018, we will host a public meeting to share information and gather input on the 75% design. We are on-schedule to begin construction in summer 2019.
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Presentation
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Roll plan of design
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Trees impacted by design
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Proposed tree planting locations
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Bus routes and stops
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Project timeline
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Meeting packet
- 25% Design Public Hearing - Notice
November 10, 2016 Concept Design Information Meeting
- Comment Map - Use this map to share your feedback about the plan.
- Project Information Boards - Project History
- Project Information Boards - Pedestrian Improvements
- Project Information Boards - Tree count
- Project Information Boards - Bicycle Improvements
- Project Information Boards - Traffic Improvements
- Project Information Boards - Complete Streets
April 13, 2015 Community Meeting
March 6, 2013 Community Meeting
May 30, 2012 Community Meeting
March 15, 2012 Community Meeting
December 14, 2011 Community Meeting
- December 14 meeting minutes
- December 14 meeting flier
- December 14 draft presentation
- December 14 draft presentation - breakout groups