Melnea Cass Boulevard Design Project
The scope includes the development of a Complete Streets roadway and streetscape design that creates a pedestrian friendly environment, ensures efficient traffic flow, accommodates transit vehicles and bicycles and promotes economic development.
Building on the conclusions of the Roxbury Strategic Master Plan, the design will progress in collaboration with the Roxbury and other surrounding communities and with all relevant city and state agencies, neighborhood groups and corridor abutters. Coordination with the designs for the South Bay Harbor Trail and neighboring development parcels will be crucial to the advancement of the project.
The initial City of Boston investment of $2.2 million for design is being supported by federal earmark and state matching funds for construction totaling approximately $25 million. The schedule for completion of 25% design plans is estimated to be Spring 2017.
Reports and meetings
November 10, 2016 Community Meeting
- 11-10-16 Presentation
- 11-10-16 Comment Map - Use this map to share your feedback about the plan.
- 11-10-16 Project Information Boards - Project History
- 11-10-16 Project Information Boards - Pedestrian Improvements
- 11-10-16 Project Information Boards - Tree count
- 11-10-16 Project Information Boards - Bicycle Improvements
- 11-10-16 Project Information Boards - Traffic Improvements
- 11-10-16 Project Information Boards - Complete Streets
April 15, 2015 Community Meeting
March 6, 2013 Community Meeting
May 30, 2012 Community Meeting
March 15, 2012 Community Meeting
December 14, 2011 Community Meeting
- 12-14-11 Meeting Minutes
- 12-14-11 Meeting Announcement Flyer
- 12-14-11 Draft Presentation
- 12-14-11 Draft Presentation - Breakout Groups
October 11, 2011 Community Meeting
Melnea Cass Property Map
Graphic illustration of the abutting development parcels and ownership along the Melnea Cass Boulevard corridor.
Summary of past projects in the Melnea Cass Boulevard Corridor outlining context for the current design initiative.
The Roxbury Strategic Master Plan
The cornerstone for Roxbury development planning and Melnea Cass corridor design, completed in January of 2004.
The Urban Ring Project
The state’s circumferential transit initiative which includes Melnea Cass Boulevard as a key component is a significant foundation for the current design effort.
The South Bay Harbor Trail
An off street cycling and walking trail renovation project taking place along the northern pedestrian edge of Melnea Cass Boulevard. The project is central to design considerations for MCB.