Tactical Public Realm
The City will fund several of these projects each year, based on community applications.
We are introducing new tools for lower-cost, rapid (tactical) improvements to our public space.
This program is based in our conversations with the community through Go Boston 2030. In those talks, we found that improving the public realm was a top priority.
Each year, the City will fund several interventions based on community applications.
For each intervention, our guidelines give:
- an overview
- context and location criteria
- application and implementation process, and
- community partner and City roles.
Boston’s citywide transportation plan, Go Boston 2030, lays out a commitment to:
- walk-friendly, transit-supporting, and bike-welcoming policy and infrastructure, and
- prioritize the movement of people over cars.
With Go Boston 2030, community ideas serve as the backbone for our decisions. We want to engage with as many different people across Boston as possible.