New Urban Mechanics
Our office was formed in 2010 as the Mayor's civic research and development team. We tackle research and design projects that cover a range of topics. This includes everything from civic engagement to City infrastructure to education. We come from a diverse array of backgrounds.
Civic innovation is more than just increasing government efficiency. It's also about improving the experience and well-being of people. So we ask:
How does Boston create more opportunities for more residents to shape their City and participate in civic life?
Our team brings a diverse array of backgrounds and experiences to the table in hopes of answering that question.
Here are some pieces that have been written about New Urban Mechanics and our way of working.
- Politico: Boston, Theres an App for That
- Boston Globe: New Urban Mechanics, keep tinkering
- Fast Company: Boston Does Digital
- MIT Review: Cities Find Rewards in Cheap Technologies
- Governing: Will Urban Innovation Teams Outlast Political Change?
- GovTech: Boston Tackles Housing with Dedicated Innovation Lab
- Living Cities: Guide for Embedding Innovation in Local Government