Families can earn more from the City by:
- registering their child’s account, and
- adding at least $25 to the account every three months, starting each January.
Student can use the money for college or job training costs when they finish high school.
Boston Saves promotes a culture of student success. We want to give all Boston Public Schools kindergarten (K2) students a chance to plan for the future.
- families with children’s savings accounts are more likely to see college as a goal for their children, and
- low-income children with $500 or less in a savings account for college are three times more likely to enroll. They are also four times more likely to graduate from college.
- "Boston’s Office of Financial Empowerment Wants to Spread the Wealth" (Next City, February 8, 2017)
- "Mayor Walsh kicks off launch of children’s savings account at the Harvard-Kent School in Charlestown" (Sampan, February 17, 2017)
- "InvestCloud partners with City of Boston for Family Savings Program" (PR Newswire, February 23, 2017)
- "InvestCloud and City of Boston partner to bolster families’ educational funds" (IBS Intelligence, February 24, 2017)
- "Walsh, Harvard Kent Students Set to Debut New Childhood Savings Accounts" (Charlestown Patriot-Bridge, February 28, 2017)
- "Students start saving early in new program" (WCVB, March 1, 2017)
- WBUR Early Edition, March 3, 2017 (Trinh Nguyen at 66:12)
- "Boston launches child savings accounts" (Banker & Tradesman April 9, 2017)
- "Financial planning program for Boston kids receives 150k grant" (Banker & Tradesman, April 27, 2017)
- "Boston Foundation donates $150,000 to Boston Saves" (BU Daily Free Press, May 5, 2017)
- "Boston Saves awarded $150k to help Boston kindergartners" (Wicked Local Roslindale, May 1, 2017)
- "City to help kindergarten students save for college" (Boston Globe, March 1, 2016)
- "Mayor Walsh announces savings account pilot program for five Boston Public Schools" (Boston.com, March 2, 2016)
- "Boston Picks 5 Schools For College Savings Pilot Program" (WBUR, March 2, 2016)
- "Roslindale school to participate in children’s saving account pilot" (Wicked Local Roslindale, March 3, 2016)
- "Piggy Banks For All the Students: BPS and EBSB Team Up for College Savings Program" (East Boston Times-Free Press, November 11, 2016)