Learn how the program works
We offer loans through our Additional Dwelling Unit Loan Program. The loans are interest-free and offer gap funding to eligible Boston homeowners who wish to create an ADU in their homes in the City of Boston. To give you more background, we created a fact sheet for our program.
- You might qualify to receive a loan up to $50,000 for an ADU project to owners of single-to three family homes.
- We base the amount of your loan on the estimated cost of the project.
- The loan has no monthly payments and does not become due until the owner sells, transfers ownership, or undertakes a cash-out refinance of the home.
GET YOUR INFO TOGETHER
- Check to make sure you are eligible for the ADU program.
- You'll need to get an ADU permit from the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) before you can receive an ADU loan.
- Prepare a description of your ADU.
- Take pictures of current space.
- Get a cost estimate.
- Create preliminary designs and drawings of your ADU.
Please print out and complete the application for ADU Loan Program
MAIL US YOUR APPLICATION
You can send your completed application package to:
The Boston Home Center / ADU
26 Court St., 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
FINISH THE PROJECT AND PAY YOUR LOANS
You will be contacted by a program manager who will assist you through the process.
We'll give you a commitment letter and schedule a loan closing, if we approve your loan. Once you have closed on the loan, you can sign an agreement with your contractor and they can get a building permit.
You’ll need to give us a final invoice from your contractor and a copy of your building permit. We’ll set up a final walkthrough to make sure all the work was done.
You have to pay us back based on the terms of the loan.
We're testing out suggested content on Boston.gov below. If you see anything out of place, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.