Artist Fellowship Award
The City of Boston is offering five fellowship awards, each worth $10,000 in 2019 to Boston-based artists across all artistic disciplines.
We consider artists from a diverse range of backgrounds who live and work in different neighborhoods throughout the City.
If you receive the fellowship, you’ll be asked to work with the City on one public event showcasing your work during the year. The event will take place in the year after you receive the award. You'll also be asked to keep the City aware of any public displays or performances of your work. We want to help the public get to know your work during your year as an Artist Fellow.
- commending the work of artists living in Boston and investing in their future success
- giving Boston-based artists the resources they need to dedicate their time to their work, and
- elevating local artists in our City.
Individual artists may apply if they work professionally in an art discipline, including:
- visual arts
- poetry or fiction writing
- interdisciplinary or performance art, and
- media arts.
We do allow applications submitted on behalf of an artist.Boston residency
You must be a City of Boston resident. You also must have have lived in Boston for three years before you can apply. You need to maintain your Boston residency during the 12-month period of the fellowship.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must consider yourself a mid-career artist. You can read examples of what a mid-career artist might look like.
- You can’t be enrolled in a degree program when applying for the Artist Fellowship Award. You also can’t be in a degree program during the 12-month period of the fellowship.
- You must be able to show that you have at least three years of experience creating art through the application process.
- If you already received the award, you can’t apply again.
- You must have one public presentation of your work during the year of the fellowship.
- You need to provide accurate documents when we ask for them.