Housing support for older people
Our goal is to ensure that older Bostonians have safe, secure, and affordable housing.
I like living in Boston. It's convenient to public transportation, hospitals, and groceries store.
Services the City offers
- Housing search and housing application help
- Advocacy around landlord and tenant issues
- Advocacy in housing court
- Referrals to legal service providers
- Applications and application renewals for fuel assistance
- Advice around issues of accessibility, clutter, and hoarding.
- Through the Office of Fair Housing, you can file a complaint if you’ve experienced housing discrimination
- Connection to foreclosure resources
- Help and support with property tax relief programs
Learn about housing options
The housing authority provides affordable housing to more than 58,000 residents in and around the City of Boston. Residents are help through a combination of public housing and federal and state voucher subsidy programs. These programs offer a variety of housing opportunities. The BHA has buildings specific for elders and people with disabilities.
The Boston Housing Authority is the largest public housing authority in New England. Nearly nine percent of the City's residents are housed through the agency.Affordable Housing
This is also referred to as income-restricted rental housing. Rent payments are capped at an affordable price for qualifying families and individuals. If you qualify, you usually pay a certain percent of your income toward the rent.
This type of housing includes some support services to help residents in day-to-day tasks. Services include meals and personal care services.Rest Homes
Rest homes offer support services and supervision to residents 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Services include a supportive living environment, meals, activities, and administering medications.Nursing Homes
This type of housing can provide health care services for those who need long-term care.Home Share
We know that many older adults in our neighborhoods have found themselves with space in their homes and a need for some companionship. You can read about our pilot homeshare program online.