Trash and recycling tips
Place trash and recycling out for collection no later than 7 a.m. on your scheduled day. Keep your neighborhood clean by securing your trash and recycling properly.
HOW TO DISPOSE OF TRASH AND RECYCLING
- Place trash in a container with a lid or use a sturdy trash bag.
- Place recycling on the curb in a City-issued, large 64 gallon recycling cart or thick clear plastic bag that is 15-30 gallons in size. Contact BOS:311 to request a new recycling cart, but keep in mind they are not available until March.
- Do not use small plastic and paper bags from market or convenience stores for trash or recycling.
- You can turn a trash can into a recycling bin with a sticker from 311. You can also pick up a sticker through the City Hall to Go truck. The can can’t be bigger than 32 gallons and needs a lid.
You can place trash and recycling out as early as 5 p.m. on the night before your collection day, but we urge you to place your trash out in the morning. This reduces spillage and scavenging.
If you don't comply with our regulations, you may receive a "green ticket" from our Code Enforcement Division. If you have been issued a ticket in error, you can appeal the citation. Residents can report offenses to BOS:311.
Don't use City sidewalk litter barrels or solar-powered compactors to get rid of your household trash. It's illegal, and carries a fine for each day you leave your trash.
Do not place building or construction debris out for residential collection. The City will not pick it up.
Request a bulk item pick up through BOS:311 for refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, televisions (including flat screens) and laptops.
Download the Trash Day app
Never miss yard waste collection again.
With our free Trash Day app you can view a calendar for your home's collection dates, set reminders, and get notifications of schedule changes. You can also search a directory of hundreds of household items to find out the right way to dispose of them.
Leaf and Yard Waste
We pick up leaf and yard waste from April to December on scheduled days. Leaf and yard waste will not be collected curbside on non-collection weeks.
- Place leaves and yard debris in large paper bags or open barrels labeled YARD WASTE. Do not use plastic bags.
- Tie branches with string. The maximum size for branches is three feet with a one-inch diameter. Do not put branches in barrels.
- Place barrels, bags, and branches curbside by 7 a.m.
- If you have two recycling days each week, yard waste collection is on the first recycling day of the week.
- Christmas trees are picked up during the first two weeks of January on your first recycling day and shredded for compost. The trees should be placed on the curb without ornaments or lights.
Hazardous waste and electronics
We hold dropoff days for Boston residents for household hazardous waste four times a year.
Learn more about hazardous waste, and what types of waste we can accept.
We host electronic recycling drop-off events during the year.
Our electronic dropoff events are for Boston residents only. We don't take commercial material from businesses. Learn more about what we will and won't take at our events.
At our recycling events, we take everything, including pants, coats, hats, and suits.PLEASE KEEP IN MIND:
We will not take carpets, rugs, oil rags, mattresses, or wet or mildewed items.